108 West Somo Avenue – Tomahawk, WI – 54487
church office: 715-453-4066 – dhetzel(at)gracetomahawk.org
Thanks for visiting our site!
Look below for news, upcoming events, and more
on how Grace serves our community.
Holy Week is the high point of our worship. This week is totally focused on God’s great exchange – Jesus taking our sin and human limitations and giving us God’s eternal life and salvation.
• Palm Sunday is the beginning of this week as we celebrate Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem as Messiah, Savior, Lord, and King, and the surprising twist Jesus gives to the notion of King.
• Maundy Thursday literally means “commandment” Thursday – Jesus giving us a new commandment in the Lord’s Supper that we are to love others as God loves us.
♦ Marks the end of Lent by receiving individual absolution.
♦ Begins a three day worship of Jesus’ death and resurrection (there is no benediction, greeting, or dismissal on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday since it is all one worship service that does not end until Easter Sunday).
• Good Friday is “good” because of God’s act of love and salvation in God dying for us.
• Easter Sunday is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. As Jesus is raised so we shall be also.
• Palm Sunday April 12 & 13 5:00 pm Saturday 8:30 and 10:45 am Sunday
• Maundy Thursday April 17 at 1:00 and 7:00 pm
• Good Friday April 18 at 1:00 and 7:00 pm
• Easter Sunday April 20 at 6:30, 8:30, and 10:45 am Sunday (no Saturday Service)
“Lent” is a 40-day invitation to deepen our faith in God, our love for others, and the reality of God’s gifts and presence in our lives. Grace Lutheran invites you to join with others in this most important journey of faith and love and invite others to join you.
Midweek Worship is at 1:00 & 7:00pm
A meal precedes each Wednesday worship at noon and 5:30.
There will be no meal on Maundy Thursday
Seven Faith Practices
1. March 5 (Ash Wed.) Invite
2. March 12 Worship
3. March 19 Study
4. March 26 Serve
5. April 2 Give
6. April 9 Prayer
7. April 17 (Maundy Thurs.) Encourage
8. April 18 (Good Friday) The Cross of Christ
Worship is at 5:00 Saturday and 8:30 & 10:45 Sunday
Six Encounters with Jesus
March 8-9 Satan & Jesus
March 15-16 Nicodemus & Jesus
March 22-23 Samaritan Woman & Jesus
March 29-30 Blind Man & Jesus
April 5-6 Lazarus & Jesus
April 12-13 Palm Sunday
Sunday Mornings at Grace
Pick up a copy of the book (in the Gathering Space) – suggested donation of $10/book. Join others in the Youth Room (with coffee & donuts), Sunday mornings at 9:40- 10:40. Includes DVD presentation by Dr. Bass and discussion guide in the book.
Five Realities of Spiritual Life Today
March 9 Session l: Waking Up
March 16 Session 2: Believing
March 23 Session 3: Behaving
March 30 Session 4: Belonging
April 6 Session 5: Awaking
1. Before the session questions
2. 10-15 DVD presentation by Dr. Bass
3. Several options for group discussion
4. Option for personal reflection after the session
Is the church declining?
Will our grandchildren have faith?
How do we connect people to Jesus?
Can one be spiritual but not religious?
Is faith no longer relevant or necessary?
Dr. Diana Butler Bass leads a fascinating discussion of how, both culturally and spiritually, we are in the midst of another of history’s “great awakenings.”
The way people come to faith may be different and the church’s invitation and guidance needs to VERY different, but the Good News of Jesus Christ, faith, and the church are very much alive and relevant and people today may be even more open and eager.
Lenten soup meals will begin on Ash Wednesday, March 5, 2014 in the Fellowship Room at Grace Lutheran Church. Lunch will begin at 11:30 a.m. with church services starting at 1:00 p.m.
Dinner will be served from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. with services starting at 7:00 p.m.
Please come and enjoy a delicious meal and conversation prior to Lenten worship services.
The posts below are for your information about past events at Grace Church. For more updated events and information please click above in the menu bar on “News & Taking Faith Home” to download the Monthly “Newsletter”, the weekly “Good News”, and the weekly “Taking Faith Home”. Also open the “Church Calendar” page for dates of events.
LOVE IS IN THE AIR AT GRACE
Come join us between services on February 16, 2014 to celebrate milestone anniversaries at Grace Lutheran Church in Tomahawk, Wisconsin with a continental Companion Breakfast. We will be highlighting milestone years and would like everyone to come and celebrate with us. Anniversary cake, fruit and fair trade coffee will be served by the Fair Trade ministry team. All are invited!
Wisconsin River Valley Conference Annual Meeting -
Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 10:00 am at Mt. Calvary, Rothschild
All are welcome! According to the Conference Constitution, the “voting members shall be those Conference congregational members in attendance at the conference Assembly.” This February 8 meeting will nominate three people for bishop. This is important in that their biographical information will be included in the Synod Assembly printout prior to the May 16-17 Synod Assembly at which our synod will elect a new bishop.
Meet at 9:00 am at Grace Church if you wish to car pool.
Schedule for our time together on February 8, 2014
9:45 am – Registration and fellowship gathering
10:15 am – Morning Prayer Worship (We have requested that Interim
Bishop Gerald Mansholt who has accepted a call as Interim Bishop
of the East Central Synod of Wisconsin preach at the service).
11:00 am – Conference Meeting
* Agenda items include:
* Approval of the Minutes of the 2013 Conference Assembly
* Report on 2013 Budget Income and Disbursements
* Discussion on and approval of the 2014 Proposed Budget
* Election of conference leaders (Dean, Vice-president, Secretary-Treasurer) and 2015 Synod Nominating Committee
* Old Business, New Business and Announcements
* Discussion on the Election of Bishop for the East Central Synod